Flying over Oaxaca
Last month I put out a call for international and regional recipes that I can cook this year on EatingPlaces. I received some excellent suggestions! So with your help, I’ve put together the list of items I’ll be trying out this year.
2. Bobotie – a South African baked dish of minced meat with an egg topping (recommended by Renee)
3. Kugel – a Jewish noodle dish I grew up eating, made either savory or sweet (recommended by Michelle)
4. Champorado – chocolate-flavored rice porridge from the Philippines (recommended by Bianca)
5. Scallion Pancakes with Spicy Dipping Sauce – Chinese snack of fried flour pancakes
6. Pierogi – Polish dumplings with a variety of stuffings, including potatoes, onions, cheese, cabbage, or meat
7. Jambalaya – Louisiana Creole rice dish
8. Pupusas – Salvadorian corn tortilla filled with cheese, meat, or beans
9. Colcannon – Irish dish made from mashed potatoes and kale
10. Injera – Ethiopian flatbread
11. Scotch Eggs – hard-boiled eggs wrapped in sausage and breadcrumbs from Scotland
12. Masala Chai – Indian hot spice tea
13. Lemon Rice – South Indian fragrant rice
So that’s the list! If you missed the opportunity to share an idea, just leave a comment below, as I’m always looking for new dishes to try out.
EDIT: As you may have noticed, I did not even come close to achieving this ’13 Dishes in 2013′ goal! However, I would like to extend this to 2014. So, continue to look forward to these dishes, and please send over any recipes/tips/other suggestions.