Did you have a chance to read the first ever EatingPlaces Saturday Short List last week? I received wonderful feedback and I’m excited to have this list be a weekly fixture. Feel free to email me if you have a suggestions.
- I heard Dan Koeppel give a fascinating talk about his book Banana: The Fate of the Fruit that Changed the World when I was in college. Every time I buy a banana I think about how it’s possible that we only consume one variety out of hundreds in the world. This article from Grist will make you think about the future of bananas and then you should read Koeppel’s book, too.
- Grab your calendars! Next Saturday (11/26) is Small Business Saturday, so exercise some restraint on Black Friday and save a few purchases for your local stores. Or, make your own using…
- 40 Homemade Gifts from The Kitchn. That will keep you busy between now and the end of the year.
- Last night I watched Black Gold, a documentary film about coffee farmers in Ethiopia and coffee trading around the world. If you drink coffee or know of anyone who drinks coffee (I think that covers everyone…), this film is a must-see. We hear terms like ‘fair trade’ thrown around all the time, but once you understand the coffee trade process, it will shift the way you pour (or order) that delicious drink.
- So we’re now five days away from Thanksgiving. I’m not hosting, so no pressure there, but I’m excited to bring my tres leches (three milk) cake to our family Thanksgiving. I need your help, though: any favorite fruit toppings for tres leches? I’ve used pineapple and mango in the past, but I want to mix it up this year!
Thanks for checking out another Saturday Short List!