I love quinoa, but without some focused flavoring, it can be on the bland side. Cooking Light has Cooking with Quinoa: 22 Recipes, including one recipe for lemon quinoa with artichokes. I made a few changes from the original version here on MyRecipes. This is an easy recipe for a weeknight meal that can also be lunch the next day. Plus, combining lemon and artichokes creates a sweet and slightly tangy flavor that’s perfect for summer. I couldn’t get enough.
Lemon Quinoa Artichoke Salad Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 diced sweet onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 jar of artichoke hearts (I used a 12 oz jar)
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- greens of your choice, perhaps mixed greens or a spinach salad
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and thyme; saute for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add artichokes and saute for about 2 minutes. Add broth and quinoa, turn burner to high until it reaches a boil. Cover, turn down to a simmer, and cook for 18 minutes or until liquid is completely absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in parsley, rind, juice, and salt. Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature over a bed of greens.